On February 3, after attempts to save her life at a hospital failed, 19-year-old Border Patrol officer Hadar Cohen from Or Yehuda succumbed to her injuries that she received during a shooting and stabbing attack that occurred near Jerusalem’s Old City on February 3.

After being injured in the attack, Cohen was swiftly brought to Jerusalem’s Hadassah Hospital on Mount Scopus, where paramedics at the time said that she was fighting for her life.

According to a Hadassah spokesperson on February 3, another policewoman was at the hospital in serious, but stable condition after receiving injuries all over her body, including to her head.

According to the police, three Palestinian men, who were identified by the Palestinian news agency Ma’an as Ahmed Abou Al-Roub, Mohammed Kameel and Mohammed Nassar, who were all from the northern West Bank, arrived at the scene of the crime with apparently locally made “Carl Gustav” rifles, knives, and two pipe bombs. While the police initially thought that a third item at the scene of the attack was a bomb, it was later determined to be an abandoned bag.

A third victim of the attack, who was only identified as a 20-year-old Israeli, received only light injuries and was treated at the scene of the attack.

A team of Border Patrol officers, who asked to see the Palestinians’ identification papers, had spotted the three Palestinians. While one attacker brought out his ID card, the other attackers proceeded to attack the officers with guns and knives.

“As far as we can tell from the armaments, [the terrorists] planned a larger, more sophisticated attack,” Jerusalem Deputy Police Chief Avshalom Peled said. “This is an escalation from what we’ve seen thus far. The police officers prevented a combined and much larger attack.”

According to paramedics with the Magen David Adom ambulance service, two women were treated at the scene of the attack and then brought to Hadassah Hospital Mount Scopus. The paramedics added that one victim was in critical condition after receiving multiple stab wounds while the other victim was in serious condition.

According to MDA director Eli Bin’s statement to Channel 2, the medics had attempted to resuscitate Cohen, who had been stabbed in the neck multiple times and had also lost a lot of blood.

“When we arrived at the scene we saw two young women, approximately 20 years old, lying on the ground with puncture wounds to the upper body. One was unconscious, the other was still conscious but dazed,” MDA paramedic Nissan Hefetz said.

Not long after the attack, Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat visited the scene of the crime.

“I had a chance to speak to our brave warriors, who were not afraid to engage” the terrorists, he said at the scene. “This was a real battle. In this battle, the police and Border Police officers of Jerusalem prevented a much larger disaster. Their readiness allowed them to [quickly] engage [the attackers] and save lives. The public in Jerusalem must keep their eyes open, and not hesitate to engage [attackers]. That readiness will prevent attacks.”

According to the police, all three men were 20-21 years old and that two of the attackers were from Qabatiya in the northern West Bank, and the third attacker was from nearby Jenin.

The Shin Bet said that the attackers had no previous involvement in terror activities.

Hamas, in a statement on February 3, praised the “unique and heroic operation,” which it described as a “blow to the security system of the occupation.”

According to a police spokesman, the police had closed off the area around Damascus Gate after the attack in order to look more closely at a suspicious package and neutralize two pipe bombs.