A free archive containing 72 years of editions of the Detroit Jewish News has gone online. The archive contains more than 260,000 pages of the Detroit Jewish News, dating back to the weekly newspaper’s founding in 1942.
Funded by donors, the archive was spearheaded by the Detroit Jewish News Foundation in 2011, nearly a decade after a fire destroyed almost all of the newspapers’ print archives. Since then, the foundation has been digitizing microfilm archives of the Jewish paper.
The foundation reports that the archive is the largest of its kind, Jewish or secular, in the United States. It will be updated with future issues of the newspaper.