Gennady Kaufman, the 41-year-old man who was a victim of a terror attack on December 7 in Hebron, died of his wounds at Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem on the morning of December 30.

The hospital said that it had been attempting to save Kaufman’s life for almost three-and-a-half weeks after Kaufman was critically injured in an attack that occurred near the Cave of the Patriarchs in the West Bank.

Kaufman was a resident of Kiryat Arba and was married to Veronica Kaufman, with whom he had two children: David, 19, who is a soldier in the Israeli Navy, and Michal, 9. Kaufman worked as a security guard and gardener in Kiryat Arba.

“Gennady is another victim of the Oslo Accords and the creation of the Palestinian terror authority,” the Jewish Community of Hebron said on December 30 in reference to the Palestinian Authority.

“The State of Israel should liberate Hebron from the talons of the ‘terror authority’ and begin to rule as an enlightened regime for the security of the residents of Israel,” the community’s statement read.

In the December 7 attack, a knife-wielding Palestinian terrorist stabbed and critically injured Kaufman before being shot dead in the act by Border Patrol officers on the scene.

However, quick defensive action was able to save lives.

“We understood this was a terrorist attack and that we only had a few seconds to isolate the terrorist before he could hurt additional civilians,” a Border Police officer who took part in the response said.

“I and the other officers closed in on him. I identified the terrorist as he leaned over the civilian. I fended him off by firing a number of rounds, in a selective manner, to neutralize the terrorist. Now the only thing we have left to do is pray for an improvement in the situation of the victim,” the officer said.

Magen David Adom paramedics found Kaufman lying on the sidewalk with multiple stab wounds on his upper body.

“We immediately placed him in an intensive care ambulance. Our goal was to get him to hospital quickly,” MDA paramedic Zaki Yahav said.

“We evacuated him while administering life-saving medical care that included stopping the bleeding, giving liquids, and medicines. He was in serious condition.”

When Kaufman arrived at Shaare Zedek, he was listed as being in very serious condition with chest stab wounds by the hospital.
A spokeswoman for Shaare Zedek announced Kaufman’s death “with great sorrow.”

“Despite the struggle of the hospital doctors for three and a half weeks he didn’t survive the very serious wounds he suffered,” the spokeswoman said.

The Hebron attack was just part of a recent three-month terror wave by Palestinians against Israelis.