On November 24, thousands of mourners attended the funeral of Ziv Mizrahi, the 18-year-old soldier that was stabbed to death at a gas station on Route 443 in the West Bank on November 23.

Mizrahi was an IDF private in the Nitzan Battalion of the Combat Intelligence Corps and was promoted to the rank of corporal after his death. Mizrahi is the 22nd victim killed by Palestinian attackers since the wave of terror and violence started in October.

“How beautiful you were the day you were born,” his mother reportedly cried at the funeral, according to NRG. “I don’t want to be here.”

“Twelve years ago I mourned my brother and thought I was done with this. Now I am a grieving father, but they won’t break our spirit,” Mizrahi’s father, Doron Mizrahi, said.

Ziv Mizrahi was the nephew of Alon Mizrahi, who was killed in a terrorist attack at Jerusalem’s Café Hillel in September 2003.

A teary-eyed Doron Mizrahi then commended his deceased son for saving his officer during the attack. “He shot the terrorists with a knife in his heart,” Mizrahi said. “That’s Ziv, a hero of Israel.”

“It’s a huge tragedy and it’s impossible to digest this thing,” Roi Mizrahi, Ziv’s uncle, said in an interview with Army Radio on November 24. “He was someone innocent who didn’t do anything.”

According to Ynet news, MK Moti Yogev and Jerusalem Chief Rabbi Shlomo Amar were among those who attended the funeral at Jerusalem’s Mount Herzl Military Cemetery.

Mizrahi suffered severe abdominal injuries when 16-year-old Ahmad Taha from the West Bank village of Qatanna stabbed him repeatedly at a gas station on the Jerusalem-Tel Aviv highway.

Magen David Adom paramedics tried to revive Mizrahi, who had served as a driver in the army, but a spokesman for Magen David Adom said that first responders were forced to declare Mizrahi dead at the scene.

A female IDF officer was also stabbed and wounded in the attack. The officer was taken to the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem with light injuries. She was released from the hospital during the morning of November 24.

The Palestinian attacker was shot and killed by soldiers at the scene. Another woman was lightly injured when her car was hit by gunfire from security forces attempting to thwart the attack.